1. Sealed beam
2. Non-sealed beam
3. Sealed to non-sealed conversion
8. Honda NC50/PA50 headlight repair
1. Sealed Beam Headlights (bulbs)
Sealed beam means the entire glass lens in front and mirror reflector in back, are evacuated of air. The bulb cannot be replaced without replacing the whole glass. Moped 4.5 inch round head lights, sealed beam or non-sealed, interchange with some tractor lights, auto and motorcycle fog lights, forklift, golf cart, and utility vehicle lights. There are even clear plastic 4.5″ round 12V landscaping lights that can interchange.
Bulbs, sealed beam 4.5 inch round
GE4667 6V 18w General Electric 4667, normal beam, 2-rear blades N/A
To use a 4667-1, the connectors can be removed from the 2- or 3- prong plug.
GE4667-1 6V 18w General Electric 4667-1, normal beam, 2-side blades $15
GE4767 6V 25w General Electric 4767, normal beam, 2-rear blades N/A
Peugeot 103 SP original (GE)
W4158 6V 25w Westinghouse 4158, normal beam, 2-screws N/A
Motobecane 76-77 original (Westinghouse)
W4583 6V ??w Westinghouse 4583, normal beam, 2-screws $20
GE4776 12V 25w General Electric 4776, normal beam, 2-screws $18
W4568 12V 25w Westinghouse 4568, normal beam, 2-screws $17
Motobecane 78-80 original (Westinghouse)
20-0082 12V 30w Wagner 4416, spot light, 2-screws $15
20-0080 12V 35w Wagner 4415, normal beam, 2-screws $17
20-0084 12V 40/40w Wagner 4440, normal beam, 3-prong $20
CEV171 6V 20w CEV 171 4.5″ normal beam, 2-rear-blades N/A
CEV172 6V 20/20w CEV 172 4.5″ hi-lo beam, 3-rear-blades N/A
18528 3-prong plug socket
18529 female blade connector, wider type for headlight
2. Non-Sealed Headlights (fixtures for bulbs)
Non-sealed headlights means the bulb is not sealed in. It can be removed and replaced without replacing the whole glass, at a much lower cost.
a. for under 21 watt generators (most mopeds)
These headlights take automotive bulbs with a BA15s base. Bulbs with this base have about a 20 watt rating. That matches the headlight power output of most mopeds. There are two main bulb choices, #1156 (12V 21W) and #1129 (6V 18W), and also 6V 21W. The bulbs are for car turn signals. The #1156 is sold in every US auto parts store and in some convenience stores. There are also other less common bulbs with this base that interchange, including LED versions.
CEV non-sealed (replaceable bulb) Headlights
CEV171 R 4.5″ glass lens/reflector, new w/04811 N/A
already has factory-cut notched hole for 04811 bulb socket
some used ones may cost less, but be scratched or weathered
04811 bulb socket for CEV glass lens/reflector $13
Takes a #1156 or #1129 bulb, or any with BA15s base.
18890 clip for CEV bulb socket 04811 $1
10343 w-clip for holding glass to rim uses 4-5 $2
This w-clip is for CEV rims. There are 3 or more other kinds:
Luxor, ULO, Taiwan headlights have different w-clips. See below.
Generic non-sealed (replaceable bulb) Headlights
RBH-06 comes with 6V 18W #1129 bulb $32.0
For 6V DC battery power, or 15 to 20 watt 6V AC generator power.
RBH-12 comes with 12V 21W #1156 bulb $32.0
For 12V DC battery power, or 15 to 20 watt 12V AC generator power.
#1156 12V 21W bulbs are easy to get at USA auto stores.
12V bulb (temp. substitute) works in a 6V system, but is dimmer.
Bulb socket snaps onto metal back reflector.
This is offered in single filament only, for three reasons. 1) The socket requires a bulb with equal nubs. Common dual filament USA auto bulbs have unequal nubs and unequal filaments. 2) Most moped generators require about 20 watts for each filament. There are 21/5 watt dual filament, but on a generator-powered moped that would quickly burn out the 5W filament, because the generator makes 20 watts. The generator watts must match the total bulb watts, or there will be an under or over-voltage. A 5 watt headlight would get super bright from an over-voltage, and soon burn out, in a few minutes. 3) There are plenty of automotive dual filament headlight bulbs, but they have too many watts and the wrong type of socket.
b. for over 21 watt generators (motorcycles and some mopeds)
RBH-H3-06a with H3-type 6V 25W bulb $28
For 6V DC battery power, or 20 to 25 watt 6V AC generator power.
RBH-H3-06b with H3-type 6V 35W bulb $28
For 6V DC battery power, or 25 to 35 watt 6V AC generator power.
RBH-H3-12a with H3-type 12V 25W bulb $25
For 12V DC battery power, or 20 to 25 watt 12V AC generator power.
RBH-H3-12b with H3-type 12V 35W bulb $25
For 12V DC battery power, or 30 to 35 watt 12V AC generator power.
RBH-H3-12c with H3-type 12V 55W bulb $22
For 12V DC battery power, or 45 to 55 watt 12V AC generator power.
H3-06V25W halogen bulb only 6V 25W $7
H3-06V35W halogen bulb only 6V 35W $7
H3-12V25W halogen bulb only 12V 25W $5
H3-12V35W halogen bulb only 12V 35W $5
H3-12V55W halogen bulb only 12V 55W $2
12V 55W H3 bulbs are easy to get at USA auto stores.
Bulb socket screws onto metal back reflector.
Single filament only (no hi and lo beam)
This headlight is for mopeds with stronger generators, or motorcycles with moped-size 4.5″ headlights. The bulb is a halogen type. They run hot and require the glass to be clean and free of fingerprints.
3. Sealed to non-sealed Conversion
Metal-Backed (not glass-backed) Sealed Beam Headlight – Upgrade to Replaceable Bulb
This conversion/upgrade is a service procedure, not a part replacement.
Any metal-backed sealed beam headlight can have a hole cut in the back. The hole allows a snap-on bulb socket to give access to the bulb. Then when the bulb burns out, the entire glass does not have to be changed. This is a big advantage.
Myrons can perform this procedure on your burned out sealed beam, as long as it has a metal back, not glass.
At right is an original Honda Express headlight before and after the conversion. When Myrons Mopeds performs this, the wires are transferred over so they still plug in the same way as before. The high and low beam wires are connected together, so the hi-lo switch does not change anything. The benefit is there are many bulb choices that are inexpensive and easy to get.
The snap-on bulb socket can be ordered separately. It has spring loaded wings that hold it in a one inch hole. That is the size just big enough to pass a #1156 bulb through.
E8764 snap-on bulb socket for any 1 inch hole $6
This has only one wire. Must solder on a second wire.
The old plug(s) can be transferred to these new wires,
then the bike wires will remain the same.
CEV 4.5 inch round headlights, with metal backs, can be converted. Two examples are shown above. So can vintage Japanese headlights with metal backs, like most 1970’s -80’s small Hondas and Yamahas.
The conversion/upgrade costs $30 for parts and labor, plus return shipping $9 (to USA). Takes about one day.
4. CEV Head LightsC.E.V. head lights, made in Italy by Fratelli Pagani (Pagani Brothers), are on many Italian motorcycles, most European mopeds, and all Italian mopeds (US models). The moped size is “Tipo 105” which is 105mm at the lip of the glass, and 112mm at the edge, which is 4 1/2 inch. This size sealed beam bulb is also on farm equipment and auxillary vehicle lights. 1 18541 screw 3mm for plastic (takes 3) $0.50 2 04910 glass lens/reflector 1211, new $28 3 04909 pancake housing for 1211, black, new $10 3 04909u pancake housing for 1211, black, used $5 4 3444 washer M6 lock $0.25 5 3171 bolt M6 x 20 hex $0.50 6 19782 rear cover plate for CEV1211 $3 7 1211 pancake headlight CEV1211 black, new $45 7 1211u pancake headlight CEV1211 black, used $35 8 3309 bolt M5 x 15 slot head $0.50 9 04522 rim/bezel CEV Tipo 105 new $30 9 04522u rim/bezel CEV Tipo 105 used $15-$22 10 10343 spring clip, CEV “W” type (takes 5) $2 11 04525.6 short bucket for 2143/2157, black, new n/a 11 04525.6u short bucket for 2143/2157, black, used $35 11 04525.6c short bucket for 2143/2157, chrome $90 11 12 2143 short headlight CEV2143, black, new n/a 12 2143u short headlight CEV2143, black, used $70 12 2143c short headlight CEV2143, chrome n/a 12 (comes with a 6V 18W #4667-1 sealed beam bulb) 12 13 2152 short hi/lo headlight CEV2152 black, new n/a 13 2152u short hi/lo headlight CEV2152 black, used n/a 14 10626.5 bulb, festoon 6V 1.5W, hi-beam indicator n/a 14 bulb, festoon 12V 2W substitute – see Bulbs 15 0007.12s socket, hi beam indicator, no jewel $7 16 0007.12 jewel, hi beam ind. no socket, new $18 16 0007.12u jewel, hi beam ind. no socket, used $5-$8 17 04630.2 short hi/lo bucket for 2152 black, new n/a 17 04630.2u short hi/lo bucket for 2152 black, used n/a 18 0096 bullet bucket for 2139/2158 black, new $75 18 0096u bullet bucket for 2139/2158 black, used n/a 18 0096c bullet bucket for 2139/2158 chrome used $70 18 19 2139 bullet headlight CEV2139, black, new $95 19 2139u bullet headlight CEV2139, black, used $80 19 (comes with a 6V 18W #4667-1 sealed beam bulb) 20 2155 bullet hi/lo headlight 2155 black, new n/a 20 2155u bullet hi/lo headlight 2155 black, used n/a 20 21 0096.3 bullet hi/lo bucket for 2155 black, new n/a 21 0096.3u bullet hi/lo bucket for 2155 black, used $70 21 0096.3s bullet hi/lo bucket for 2155 silver, used $70 21 0096.3k bullet keyhole bucket 2155 silver, used $70 22 2157 short headlight CEV2157, black, new n/a 22 2157u short headlight CEV2157, black, used n/a 22 (4667 glass, cut for a replaceable 1156 or 1129 bulb) 23 2158 bullet headlight CEV2158, black, new $120 23 2158u bullet headlight CEV2158, black, used n/a 23 (4667 glass, cut for a replaceable 1156 or 1129 bulb) 24 19793 cover for speedo hole, black, snaps on $3
Far right, a CEV 2158 “bullet” headlight. It comes with a block off plate over the speedometer hole. Most European moped speedometers fit into the hole, such as CEV, VDO, Huret, Veglia. Japanese made Tatung speedos are too small. besides the beautiful classic look, hiding most of the wiring inside, the glass fixture features a replaceable bulb socket, a big benefit. With sealed beam headlights, when they (often) burn out you have to buy a whole new glass, that’s both expensive and difficult to find. But with a non-sealed beam (replaceable bulb) fixture, you can change the small 15mm bulb inside. It’s a common automotive bulb #1156 (12V 21W) or #1129 (6V21W). You can get an 1156 at all night convenience stores for $1 or $2. Another benefit is you can run an LED bulb, or any 1156 compatible. That’s a single prong bulb. No high beam, just low.
CEV Rectangular Head LightsBoth CEV and Saturnus made rectangular head lamps for Tomos mopeds in the 1990’s and 2000’s. They use a large base 12V 25/25w BA20d hi-lo bulb. They are wider than the older round lights, but not as tall. Note how the CEV glass has lots of certifications on it, including SAE and DOT. Then notice how the Saturnus glass has only the E10 certification. 1a CEV 322 rectangular headlight comp. $70 1b Saturnus rect. head light complete $45 2 bulb 12V 25/25 or 12V 35/35 see bulbs 3 bulb socket CEV type $15 3 bulb socket Saturnus type N/A 4 socket clip Saturnus type N/A 6 & 7 M6 x 16 bolt and washer (2 ea) 8a CEV rectangular headlight glass only none 8b Saturnus rect. head light glass only $40 9 long plastic screws, phillips (2) $1
5. Luxor Head LightsLuxor head lights, made in France, are on all Motobecane and some Peugeot mopeds. The bezel/ring and clips do not interchange with CEV. Peugeot part numbers prices: new used 1 60400 Luxor headlight complete n.a. n.a. 2 73005 Luxor Peugeot grommet n.a. $5 3 60321 sealed beam GE 4767 see bulbs 4 68383 Luxor 1710 ring/bezel $75 $5-30 dented 4a xxxxx Luxor inner adaptor ring $4 $2 5 01105 M6 x 12 hex bolt 6 56101 M6 lockwasher 7 69886 Luxor W-clip, takes 4 or 5 $2 8 xxxxx Luxor bucket, wrinkle black $35 $15 Motobecane part numbers prices: new used 1 53762 HL assy white w/rot. switch n.a. varies 2 53433 Luxor 1710 ring/bezel $60 $5-20 dented 3 19569 M5 x 0.9 (coarse) screw $2 $1 4 53431 sealed beam bulb 6V 25w see bulbs 5 53432 Luxor inner adaptor ring $4 $2 6 54132 Luxor W-clip, takes 4 or 5 $2 $1 7 18324 M8 x 1.25 x 16 hex bolt 8 00137 M8 toothed lockwasher 10 53628 bucket, white, for rotary n.a. $5 12 53534 rotary switch, 6V system see Motobecane Motobecane part numbers prices: new used 1 54331 HL assy w/slide sw, flat black n.a. varies 1 also 54329 white, 54330 gloss black 2 53433 Luxor 1710 ring/bezel $60 $5-20 dented 3 19569 M5 x 0.9 (coarse) screw $2 $1 4 54129 Sealed beam bulb 12V 25w see bulbs 5 53432 Luxor inner adaptor ring $4 $2 6 54132 Luxor W-clip, takes 4 or 5 $2 $1 7 18324 M8 x 1.25 x 16 hex bolt 8 00137 M8 toothed lockwasher 10 54291 bucket for slide sw, flat black n.a. $10 10 also 54133 white, 54316 gloss black 11 21439 slide switch, 12V system see Motobecane
6. ULO-Niox Head LightsNioxGerman-made head light fixtures are made for ULO German-made rings, housings, and clips. They do not interchange with CEV. On 1970’s US mopeds, a Niox 4.5″ round head light in a ULO housing was original on 1978-81 Puch Magnum. Niox square headlights were on 1984-86 Puch Maxi Sport LS, Maxi Sport LS II, Cobra, Cobra II, and Austro Daimler. ULO-housed Niox round headlights were also on some German moped makes like Solo (Odyssey in US). Every other German, Austrian, or Dutch moped had a CEV headlight. Puch part numbers new used 1 3126.96.36.1990.0 ULO HL assembly n.a. $70 3 3188.8.131.523.0 ULO ring/bezel n.a. $25 4 3184.108.40.2069.1 ULO clip takes 4 $3 $2 5 3220.127.116.118.0 ULO lens/reflector $45 $35 6 318.104.22.1689.2 ULO bulb socket $18 $15 8 322.214.171.1241.2 ULO bucket/body $35 $25 9 & 10 M6 x 16 hex bolt and washer 11 3126.96.36.1993.1 ULO rubber cover $7 $5
7. Taiwan Head Lights
Taiwan head lights, made in Taiwan, are on General, Angel, Indian, etc. The rim does not interchange with CEV. The Taiwan spring “W” clips are different than CEV ones.
8. Honda NC50/PA50 Headlight Repair
The plastic mounts on Honda Express NC50 and Hobbit PA50 plastic headlight housings often break. That has consumed the supply of replacement headlight housings.
Here is a way to repair and re-use the broken housing:
Two metal brackets are added outside of the broken mounts. These have rubber grommets that cushion and protect the plastic headlight shell from cracking. But they could also be without grommets.